What is Esthetics?
From the Greek word aesthetikos, meaning “perceptible to the senses”. Ethetics is a branch of anatomical science that deals with the overall health and well-being of the largest organ of the human body, the skin
What is an Esthetician?
1. Are licensed professionals who are experts in skin health and are devoted to the education and promotion of healthy skin and habit.
2. An esthetician’s general scope of practice is limited to the epidermis, or the outer layer of skin.
3. May perform several other skin treatments beyond facials, such as hair removal (waxing, threading, tweezing, sugaring), body treatments, dermaplaning, chemical and mechanical exfoliations, eyelash and eyebrow tinting, eyelash extensions, and makeup application.
4. Also specialize in mechanical treatments such as microcurrent (also called non-surgical “face lifts”), cosmetic electrotherapy treatments (galvanic current, high frequency), LED (light emitting diode), and ultrasound/ultrasonic.
5. They treat a variety of cosmetic skin concerns, that include mild acne, hyperpigmentation, and aging skin.
Why do I need to see an Esthetician?
1. The skin is affected by ALL things, diet, exercise, health, lifestyle, stress, hormones, genetics, the list goes on and on. It is becoming more common that estheticians treat the skin holistically.
2. An esthetician’s main goal is to educate each client about their individual skin and its needs. This is obtained by analyzin one’s skin, suggesting a treatment option that is best suited for you, and givng each client an individual home care plan for thier skin’s needs.
3. Esthetician’s may also recognize signs of a more serious nature that will be referred to your dermatologist when necessary
REMEMBER – Our skin is our largest organ and absorbs everything in, what we eat, sun exposure, pollution, smoke, alcohol, cosmetics, and other lifestyle choices. Whether it is to prevent or repair, facial treatments should be a routine maintenance in everyone’s life. ** Get your teenagers in. Let us educate them on proper skin care. Prevention is key for our youth. *** Men get facials too. They have skin just like the rest of us. They are even more susceptible to dirt and pollution usually because of their environment.
What is a facial treatment?
Facial treatments vary – each treatment is targeted to improve your skin condition, concerns and overall health for the longevity of the skin. After analyzing the skin the following will take place with the appropriate products for your skin type.
1. Deep cleanse of the the skin to remove dirt and other build-ups that collect in the pores.
2. Exfoliation takes place, unless your skin is compromised by being sunburned, recently waxed (within 72 hrs), or any other contraindication. Exfoliation, when done correctly, smooths out the skin’s texture, helps the turnover rate of cells, improves product penetration, and the list goes on.
3. Extractions of blackheads, pustules (whiteheads) and milia may be performed.
4. Hydrators ad Serums will applied usually in combination with a masque.
5. Moisturizures and Sunblock (if daytime) will be applied.
How quickly will I see results?
Following a treatment, you will notice a definite improvement in your skin’s overall appearance, hydration level, smoothness of texture, refinement of the pores, and even more toned. However, if you are looking for a dramatic change this does not happen within the first visit or two.
You can not lose 50lbs on day one of a diet. It takes time, consistency, and dedication to both your diet and workout regimen. Same goes for the skin, your esthetician will be your skin’s personal trainer. Consistent treatments, dedication to your home regimen, will set you on the right path to get your skin in it’s top shape. You’ll see it and your friends will see it and that always feels good
How often do I need to come in?
This is a common question. The most truthful answer is ”it depends on YOU” What are your needs and goals for your skin? Will you be following the at home regimen we suggest? What is your current skin health? All of these are factors on the consistency of your visits. Because treatments are individualized for each client so are the recommended appointments needed.